Fix – missing Android phone contacts in Audi MMI bluetooth

Posted by Madbot on Aug 19, 2014 in Madbot Madness |

Madbot says:

So very happy with the new Audi A3 2015, only to quickly discover the technologies have changed so much since my last car that I really don’t quite get what half of all these buttons do.. The rental Audi cars in pervious years have helped but the fact my phone has also changed from iPhone to a Nexus 5 added to the confusion. I felt like a total noob..!

image

Bluetooth was one of the first problems. The Nexus 5 connected without a problem except I seem to have ended up with very limited set of contacts that most don’t even have phone numbers registered. None of the contacts from office’s Exchange account made it to the car.

Much playing later, discovered a fix. It turns out the car was sync’ing the Skype contacts for some crazy reason. To keep a long story short, if you are having the same problem, here is how you specify what contacts should be sync’ed over Bluetooth to the car.

1. Make sure you are not connected to Bluetooth.
2. Open the ‘People’ app on the phone – you should see all your contacts here.
3. Click on the 3dots on bottom right of the screen to open the options screen.
4. Click ‘Contact to display’. This lists all the accounts you have setup on the phone.

image

It’s here where things get tricky. Pay attention now.

5. Scroll down and click on Customize to open ‘Define Custom View’. This page lists all the accounts you have setup on the phone with a down arrow on the left.

6. Expand each account and SELECT only those accounts with contacts you want to sync to the car and UNSELECT the ones you don’t want. The car will see only the contacts in the account you select here. Click OK when done.

7. Go back to home screen and connect to Audi MMI via Bluetooth and viola! Your contacts have now sync’ed with the car.

This method may also work with the VWs.. Your mileage may vary. 🙂

15 Comments

J
Dec 11, 2014 at 2:37 am

Great post Madbot. Were you able to have the contact images come across and display in your MMI as well? Thanks.

Madbot
Dec 11, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Glad you found it useful..!

Have not noticed the contact images.. will check it out.

J
Dec 12, 2014 at 7:40 am

Awesome, thanks. Let me know what you find please. I have searched and searched to no avail.

Madbot
Dec 16, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Confirmed the contact images from the phone does NOT go over to the car. This is on Nexus 5 running Lollipop. Haven’t tried iOS yet. Will give that a go this weekend.

Think I read somewhere that the only way to get contact images is if you imported via SD card. May also give that a try this weekend.

J
Dec 17, 2014 at 3:17 am

That’s unfortunate, but thank you so much for the investigation. I haven’t tried importing from an SD card yet, but will give it a try as well. I’ll let you know what I find.

Thanks for the help!

Madbot
Dec 20, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Confirmed import from SD works in getting the image over.

– Export from Android contact (uses Vcard format) to a place where you can get the file. Eg, export to Google Drive
– Copy the file to a SD card
– In MMI – Directory / Import / Select SD drive / Select vCard file. Done.

The image doesn’t look that great tho.. the resolution is fairly low.. but it works.

J
Dec 23, 2014 at 2:55 am

That is awesome… excellent work.

I spent some time over the weekend trying to duplicate this but am still having troubles making sure the Vcard has the contact image embedded in it, as well as verifying if there are any nuances in the MMI given that my vehicle is a 2015 Q5. I’ll keep at it.

Thanks again!

Madbot
Dec 23, 2014 at 11:40 am

Good luck..! 🙂

Aserrano
Jan 12, 2015 at 4:48 pm

J,

I have an A8 2015 and so far I have been unable to get vcards import the contact images. Have you succeded in doing so? What versión of vcard are you generating for the import (2.1/3.0/4.0)?
My MMI SW is the latest versión available in Europe HN+R EU_AU_K0770

Madbot, I found this blog after looking all over the internet. Great postings!
Your help is very much appreciated here.
rgds

Alfredo

Madbot
Jan 12, 2015 at 10:23 pm

Hi Alfredo,

Glad you find the info to be of use. The 2015 A8 is absolutely gorgeous..!

This Android phone (Nexus 5) exports the contact to vcard 2.1 format – It did work for me.

Export the contact and copy to SD card. Then have MMI import contacts via the SD Card. Give it a try. Good luck..!

Aserrano
Jan 12, 2015 at 10:34 pm

Thanks Madbot. I have a Nexus 5 but it exports ALL the contacts in my phonebook (1,500+) into one single vcard file and not separate vcards for every contact. Is that same as you did? Did you just get one single vcard file for all your contacts?

Thanks again for your help

Greetings from sunny Spain

Madbot
Jan 13, 2015 at 12:20 am

Ah maybe thats the difference – i did just the one contact. Maybe try just one and see if it works.

Can also open the vcard file using a text editor like notepad and confirm the photo/s is included.

The photo is encoded and looks like gibberish – the rest of the info (name, phone number etc) are perfectly human-readable.

Aserrano
Jan 13, 2015 at 12:28 am

Thanks Madbot. I just tried a one single contact…to no avail….Will do some more tests later today…It might be that the A8 3G+ MMI differs from other models (A3/A5/Q5)

On a separate note, I can’t get album art on my iPod Nano 7G with the yellow grommet cable (4F0051510AL). For what I understand, that is the only cable available with the lightning connectors. Any help on this one would be very much appreciated.

AS

Madbot
Jan 13, 2015 at 10:32 pm

Hey Aserrano,

Don’t have the cable here as i keep the music on the phone or SD card. Pretty sure i have seen album arts over Bluetooth (starts streaming when the phone detects the car wifi via the Tasker app) or SD card. Will check it out this week when i get a chance.

Madbot
Jan 18, 2015 at 4:13 pm

Album art works with SD and jukebox. Didn’t see it over Google Music streaming via bluetooth on Android..

Copyright © 2017 Madbot babble All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek.